Skip to main content

Why women die in silence


November looks to be the loveliest month to me though I wasn’t born in November.  After my month, November comes close. Perhaps the beauty of the month is in its pronunciation. I hope to name one of my unborn children ‘November’.  It does sound cool, right?

As much as the weather changes in November, something hasn’t changed! I have heard it many times when they say it’s a man’s world, true to it, especially in Africa, it really is. Especially where I come from, the male dominates the society in politics, corporate organizations and many more. It is generally believed the females are better as house wives as it is their duty is to raise the children. In some part of Nigeria, as young as 13 years old they are given up for marriage! This is no fable but a reality check. While commuting to work, I listened to a drama play addressing the issue of child marriage in our society. I was taken aback, what does a thirteen year old girl know about been a wife and mother? A girl that should probably be in in Jss 1 or 2 is busy performing wifely duties. In my opinion, that’s totally unacceptable and disgusting!  But with a proper and closer look, the poor are the victim of child marriage.  

This week alone I have had course to experience first-hand how we men can be so mean.  What is the problem with men these days? Honestly speaking, we are messing up big time! Its not a thing to be proud of neither for me to be seen as a weakling.  Not one, two or three stories, but many. Our streets are filled with brilliant young ladies doing well in their careers but are unwilling to settle down with any man. They don’t care about what the society might say because the question is:  will the society be there for them when the man behaves irresponsibly? A society that is already skewed to favour the men will disappoint them at their moment of justice. I hear the reason most black men are in jail in the USA is because they fail to control their anger hence they turn to wife beaters, before you know it they are in jail!  That’s a society that protects the female gender! As big as Mike Tyson was, he served years in jail for rape at the peak of his career in the boxing profession. His status in the society was not considered. 

Right from childhood, a girl child is being taught how to be a good wife and mother but never taught  how to deal with the moment when the love of her life acts irresponsibly. She’s told to be submissive but not told of what to do when the man comes back home drunk one day and turns her to a punching bag.  The man will walk the streets free, watch soccer or have a drink with friends with a feeling that he served justice physically abusing his better half when he’s supposed to be locked up in jail for it. Literally speaking , she has been taught how to die in silence instead of how to be a wife! How sad! Our society must rise up to this challenge and knock out this wrong conception about the female gender. The female gender must not be seen as a lesser being; they are not and will never be.


 Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment below

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no