Skip to main content

Happy New Year


Yay, it's a New Year! Glad we all made it to 2018. This means a lot of things to different people. To some it is the year they will be sending invitation cards for marriage, birthday celebrations, house warming, thanksgiving, some would even be leaving the shores of this country without a thought of looking back, sad as it may seem but its the truth. Though it five days now into the new year, I will like to know if the excitement is still there as it was from December 23, 2017 and January 1, 2018.

The Christmas season is gone, the celebration is done. How I loved it despite the fuel scarcity that attempted to darken it. Yes, I meant attempted, how else can one explain such occurrence rearing it's ugly head during the last festive season. This was the day I saw the resilience in Nigerians. I hail o! Against all odds and hike in cost of transportation, Nigerians still traveled to celebrate Christmas with their loved ones. As I write, some Nigerian roads still bear a forlorn look from inactivity. Even my favourite canteen opposite my office has not opened for the New Year. They are holding me ransom.  I must confess, its affecting me, having to find an alternative is not convenient to my taste bud. (lols)

Jokes aside, this week from January 2 - 5, 2018, the children's school fees will top the to do list of most parents, its a sign the holiday is over though most schools will be resuming on the January 8, 2018. You just never can tell what they are up to once they get to school, they've got everything figured out in their head. They are are excited to tell their classmates, write a composition of how they spent their Christmas with their grandparents in the village, traveled abroad, or how their favorite cousin of celebrated his/her birthday and those who went no where will form one. (lols). They are ready to showoff their new water bottle, school bags and much more. A parents ear is going to be full of stories once they get home, and speaking from experience, you had better listen or pretend to be listening. It is for your own good and peace of mind. You know how kids can be at times, they got no chill until they get a response. (lols).

Meanwhile in another world of business, school proprietors/proprietress will be smiling to the bank, Am sure you do get my drift. The school business is here to stay! Not with our teeming population year in year out which places a great demand for good and qualitative education. These days, the emergence of new and competitive private schools have overshadowed the reliance on public schools for good and quality education. It does cost a lot but every parent wants to provide their children with the best education ever. After all, to what end is their hourly labour at work if not to invest and get the best for their children, if they don't who will? Perhaps, I should start a school business, not a bad idea. Right?

Fast forward to January 2, 2018. I lay on my bed and rolled up and down, that's  my unwilling body
ready to throw in the towel. You may wonder why but your guess is as good as mine: "The holiday is over".  I did enjoy it and wouldn't mind it being extended, hold on here before you write me off as a lazy dude, am just stating the truth. All am asking for is just one more additional day. (lols). Resuming after an holiday you looked forward too is just somehow. I wonder why. Adjusting back to normalcy shouldn't be that mind strenuous but it is. I need answers. Nevertheless, my body has no choice than to get up and look in the mirror with the mindset to conquer the day, the week, and the new year.

Come what may,  believe you are just ready,  you
have conquered the years before and this one won't be an exception. It is filled with new opportunities and adventures but be careful in choosing which adventure to be involved. Going skydiving without a parachute is not an adventure but.................(fill in the gaps). (lols)



All said and done, I wish you all a Happy New Year and a fulfilled weekend. Thank you.

Please leave our comments below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no