Skip to main content

A peep into SMW Lagos 2018




One of my favorite stories as a young boy was Oliver Twist written by Charles Dickens. I watched the movie countless times, read the book over and over again. Something about the poor boy just struck me. Perhaps he’s trickery did catch my attention. In case you haven't  read or seen the movie, give it a try. You'll thank me for it!

The sixth edition of Social Media Week Lagos 2018 held from February 26 to March 2, 2018 at the Landmark Event Center, Lekki Lagos.  I attended the event for the first time in 2017 after a good friend and brother of mine advised me to be there. Coincidentally, it was their fifth year anniversary.  It was well celebrated and the sessions handled by the various panelist and speakers were insightful, informative and above all inspiring. It was breathtaking, therefore, I longed for the 2018 edition right from the first day 2017 edition ended. Just like Oliver Twist, I asked for more. (lols)

Kudos to the organizers of the annual event, it was never a dull moment. The 2018 edition had another dimension to it like the Yoga and African Nxt extension. The banking sector registered their heavy presence from First Bank of Nigeria, Guarantee Trust Bank, Access Bank, United Bank for Africa, Stanbic IBTC, Fidelity Bank and Diamond Bank. They informed us of how they have leveraged the use of social media and technology platforms to reach and offer financial services to their customers. The soft spoken Mr Segun Agbage (MD GTB) led a session titled: “Making Sense of the World in Motion”.  He gave us insight to the challenges facing banks, values that will never change and subscribed that banks must become platforms to survive. The rise of financial technology driven platforms are at an unprecedented rate.  Not mincing words, his delivery was top notch!

Accelerate TV, the innovative social interaction platform from Access Bank gave us insight into how they are reaching and engaging with young adults at the "How to make money from YouTube" session, First Bank, Stabic IBTC, Fidelity Bank, UBA also had their sessions. I got a complimentary card from Leo the Virtual Banker, the first indigenous built AI from UBA. A little hint, in the nearest future, robots will replace humans. Ask Leo if am lying. (lols). Elor Onwah's brilliant presentation from Stanbic IBTC said it all on their approach and understanding of what pension means to them. I never knew the bank had such a robust financial services like the money market, mutual funds. Every question was answered in a simple and easy way to understand.  Fidelity Bank also had a fine and exciting session with Mo Abudu as one of the panelist. It was a full crowd with people standing to take notes. 

Among the many booths displayed at the event, the Access bank booth comes close to my heart, no partiality here. (lols). The staffs from the inclusive banking on Monday to Friday made me feel at home, especially Infoma and Tosin. I tested their patience to see if I could ruffle some feathers, but to no avail. (lols).  Instead I left with a souvenir which they gladly offered me with a smile. I won’t fail to mention Mr Damilola Ayinde of Fidelity Pension Managers, thanks for that big gift. Well appreciated. 

It’s not just all about the banks, there were so much more, Travel Massive Lagos hosted attendees at the popular Hard Rock CafĂ© for a night of fun and an opportunity to win a free trip on a tour with Travel Smart. Evans Akanno led the Cregital team, Mercy Frank from “The Coach Speaks” podcast, Seyi Shay, D’banj, Obi Asika, Bizzle Osikoya (The Plug),  Shareef Khatib (Chief of Party, NERI), Bishop Mathew Hassan Kukah (Founder Kukah Center), Engr. Prof. Baba Gana Umara  Zulum  (Hon. Commissioner Borno State Ministry of Reconstruction, Rehabilitation and Resettlement) to mention but a few.  How I wish I could mention everyone here but I must say the truth, it’s not possible.

In summary, one thing is certain. Technology is the future. The earlier the better for brands to embrace and engage with customers on social media and other technology platforms. I close with this quote from Segun Agbaje (MD GTB) when asked about the bank's risk of investment into her various technology driven solutions.

He said and I quote “If you focus too much on ROI, you won’t start anything”

The question is: Are you prepared to start?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no