Skip to main content

My Road trip to Benin City

Photo Credit: Larisa -K

On November 24, 2018, necessity was laid upon me to visit the great ancient Benin City, the Edo state capital in Nigeria. The many brave stories I have heard about the city coupled with the fact of having a once upon a time close neighbour of mine hails from there. The more they told me about the city the more I secretly admired it and longed to visit there while I grew up in the brown roof city of Ibadan in Oyo state. Fast forward to now, my best friend from my time in Lagos is getting married and my presence has been requested to witness the ceremony. Gladly I looked forward to the journey, after all, a little owambe (celebration) is good for the body.  (lols)

I wasn't going to travel alone, the plan was to join the rest of his family on the trip. So we took off in the early hours of Friday morning around 6:00am, we were seven in numbers. We immediately hit the road with so much adrenalin pumping in our system, we looked forward to an exciting journey. The early morning breeze could draw nothing but sleep from me, the previous day had been a long one for me, slept late and had to wake up early to be ready. I sat at the back row of the Sienna space bus that was hired. Sitting next to me was me was my friend's little niece, after her was her mum, in front was his aunt, his mum and a little sister of the family. In front was his big cousin and then the driver of the vehicle. All in all, it was sure going to be a fun trip.

Hours passed by while we made steady progress leaving Abuja, Lokoja and arrived at Okene in Kogi state. We didn't know what awaited us but we began to see a sign the moment the sun came on. The assumed air condition system of the vehicle failed or perhaps was not functioning at all, but like adding salt to injury, the traffic on that route was heavy. We had to navigate through heavy duty trucks on a very near impossible road which as at the time of writing is not a dual lane. At one time, a truck conveying two containers on its back competed for a passage with us, we were in the gully while he was on a bit higher ground of the road, any slight mistake is as good as a death sentence. It would have been a case of an ant challenging an elephant to a battle! We threw in the towel, better live to fight another day than stand no chance at all.

The atmosphere was humid and dusty, wounding down the windows was not an option. We were sweaty, uncomfortable and at the same time frustrated at everything. Calls went left and right to the transport company who provided such an old non-functional air conditioned of  a vehicle. This was beginning to look like a trip that was not to be!

Watch out for part 2 next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no