Skip to main content

Am alive

Credit to Norfolk Center for Social Development


He looked at everything, thoughts in his head racing than a Ferrari. He took the jump to his demise.

That single line of sentence perhaps expresses in short detail something trying to creep into our society unnoticed these days. On May 16, 2019 in Abuja, a young promising man did the unthinkable: he took his own life for whatever reasons. It trended on social media, whatsapp platforms, online blogs and more. Sad incident we must all work together it never occurs again.

We are very religious in Africa, for several ages Africans have been able to cope with poverty, wars, economic hardships and more. The question is what has gotten Africans going? What has given them a ray of hope despite these severe harsh conditions? What medicine has been prescribed to them?  In truth the survival of African people is a miracle. Everything that has happened to them has defied logic. A singer once sang "suffering and smiling" referring to a people of a particular African nation.

Perhaps reality is setting in now, Africans are beginning to surrender. They are no more suffering and smiling. They are doing something else and that thing is very destructive. Its beginning to hit home, something is failing and needs to be addressed. The medicines seems to be loosing their effectiveness on Africans. This is no more the Africans I know. The walls seems to be coming down like the dragon Viserion in Game of Thrones attacked the Walls at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. We can't let the wall fall.  Am alive and I need you to stay alive come what may. Nothing is worth dying for.

Mental health has to be given serious attention, government health institutions needs to take the bull by the horn. Increase mental health awareness campaigns to schools, homes and more. Religious bodies also needs to do their apart from Friday's and Sunday's  sermons. It is our responsibility to fight this demon. Our victory is surely guaranteed but not without us picking up our weapons of war. The time is now! Not tomorrow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no