Skip to main content

House No. 9


Looking back in time, I realized she waited for no one but was at everyone's service. She presented herself both to the foolish and the wise, the hardworking and the lazy, the successful and the failure, the rich and the poor. She is innocent of any accusation, not partisan and  always prompt!

A subtle reflection over the years gone by always flushes our memories with both times of laughter and pain. Right from our teenage years we look forward to a day we would be free of parental control. Especially for the male children who perhaps would love a kind of hairstyle but their parents will stick to that which he detest the most, we just want to grow up fast and escape such controls. As a kid I admired some certain kind of adult hairstyles but I know I dare not do such haircuts except I want to see my mum's fury and a straight return back to the barber shop. (lols). As for the girls, theirs even so worse, especially when it comes to mum buying clothes for them. It is war! Everyone of us looks forward to that legal age we are declared adults. We believe we've got everything figured out!

In a matter of time, done and dusted with quantitative reasoning and qualitative English in primary school, we are so excited and full of vigour, ready to bust into the next phase of our educational development. Our sight is set to what we've heard about being in a secondary school but what we were never told was the challenges that came with it. As usual, our parents decides which of the secondary schools they believe suits them for the next phase of our educational development, this is where my alma mata story comes in. I started as a day student but somehow someway I found myself in Command Secondary School Ibadan (CSSI) Bode -Igbo, Apata, Ibadan in SS1. Such a fine school enough to make your heart rate beat faster that moment when you are about some meters away from the school gate for resumption after holiday. That's just a tip of the iceberg, my experience in CSSI is a story for another day.

After about two decades I finished from CSSI, House No.9 came calling. That alone aroused an age-long memory buried deep down within me I never wanted to dig up again. Nevertheless, the alarm had been sounded and am left with no choice than to heed the call. I looked forward to it, too so many things at House No.9 in Abuja. I had scores to settle. I wanted answers and concrete explanations to some actions undertaken by some 'harsh' seniors way back then. (lols). It was an opportunity I wasn't ready to let go off easily.

How wrong I was, the atmosphere was set up to foster love by the organizing committee, it was just amazing! The hospitality was top notch, I dub my hat for them, not just them but the seniors I had planned to confront too. All my grudges dissolved like sugar in a cup of water as they made me laugh my head off.  I met with those from the 87set, 94set, 95set, 97set, 99set, 2000set. The height of it all was when we all stood up to sing our school anthem, it was quite emotional for me, it took me back to my roots, how we would line up on the parade ground, house by house and class by class as we recited it. That was what connected us, senior or junior, we all knew the song and always had to sing it in unison.

I have a new family now and we have so many stories to tell. Our story built on love, support for one another and most importantly the continued survival of CSSI despite the numerous challenges she is facing right now through our little financial commitments.  Thank House No.9, Looking forward to a wonderful time like this come 2018.

What was your school reunion like? Do you look forward to one?
Please leave your comments below:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My story

My name is Olugbenga Falusi and welcome to my blog. Many times in life what you are actually looking for is right under your nose. You search the depths and find nothing, your soul becomes restless seeking expression. I'm sure that resonates with a lot of us! What you need at such moments are people who see your talents and skills and can point to you the direction to go. They may have to push you, follow up to ensure the beauty they see in you is fully manifested not just for them but more for the benefit of the world. My story: Right from when I was a kid, the art got a better  part of me. I wanted to know how to draw but to my own amazement, I could not even draw an orange, I struggled over the years to be someone else, my primary school classmates were so good at making comics and I would buy from them using my lunch money. I cared less about getting food to eat, I wouldn't let go though I accepted my fate. One day, somewhere, life situation did hit me and that sp

How RCCG City of David Abuja moved and celebrated their thanksgiving service at Utako, Abuja

The call to ministry is not really what is accepted with pomp and pageantry rather it is a moment of sober reflection and preparation for greater responsibility to God and humanity. It is a never-ending journey with a determination not to quit.  The story of RCCG City of David Abuja has been that of purpose and determination as they achieved a remarkable height on January 12, 2020, at thanksgiving and at their new tabernacle located at Plot 362 Blooming Hills International Academy, Augustus Aikhomu Way, Beside Aneio Hotel Utako to the glory of God. Praise and thanksgiving at the new auditorium Present at this significant milestone was Pst. Gbolade Okenla (PIC RCCG COD Abuja), Pst. Oghogho Anyaru (PIC RCCG LP 4 Victoria Island), Pst. Pat-Akem Vingir (PIC Jesus House, Abuja ) and Pst. Sola Olowokere (PIC  RCCG Strongtower, Baltimore) The atmosphere on Sunday was enough to drown uninvited voices of fear and worry. It was filled with high praise and thanksgiving to God m

Iya Alakara

Iya Alakara (The Beans Cake Seller) We call her Iya Alakara (Beans cake seller) because her akara is the best, though she sells other fried foods. Akara is a popular delicacy eaten in Nigeria , it is made from grinding beans,  then mixed with various sauce ingredients and then shaped in the form of a ball before being fried in either a hot palm or vegetable oil. It is eaten with variety of other foods like fried yam, pap and even bread for a proper balance diet. Her spot cannot be mistaken, it is strategically located for commuters and passers-by to easily spot. Walking through my street about three nights ago, I thought hard on my next content for the blog.  Only a hot akara and pap would do at the moment; the thought of cooking would have been  a mission impossible. I have had enough for the day.  So here I was, readily seated right in front of her,  the little smoke emanating from the firewood was not enough to deter me from satisfying  my crave for akara. In no